Dear Colleagues! Today is Pharma Veterans Blog Post #156. Pharma Veterans shares the wealth of knowledge and wisdom of Veterans for the benefit of entire Pharma Community. It aims to recognize and celebrate the Pharma Industry Professionals. Pharma Veterans Blog is published by Asrar Qureshi on WordPress, the top blog site. If you wish to share your stories, ideas and thoughts, please email to firstname.lastname@example.org for publishing your contributions here.
Continued from Previous……
The life-threatening issue is that the doctors have very few antibiotics left in their armamentarium to fight infections, while the bugs causing infections are getting more powerful. Bugs are becoming Super-Bugs, but we don’t see Super-Antibiotics. Which way the battle would go is almost written on the wall.
Let us have a look at the five new antibacterial drugs approved by USFDA in 2018.
- ZEMDRI (plazomicin). Is an aminoglycoside antibacterial indicated for the treatment of Complicated Urinary Tract Infections (cUTI) including Pyelonephritis in patients 18 years of age or older, caused by susceptible pathogens; Escherichia coli, Klebsiella pneumoniae, Proteus mirabilis, and Enterobacter cloacae
Zemdri is available as 500mg powder vial for intravenous infusion.
Being an aminoglycoside, Zemdri shares the group side effects including but not limited to:
- Neuromuscular Blockade
- Fetal Harm
- Clostridium difficile-associated Diarrhea
Zemdri is marketed by Achaogen Inc. San Fransico, USA.
- XERAVA (eravacycline). Is a tetracycline class antibacterial indicated for the treatment of Complicate Intra-abdominal infections in patients 18 years of age or older caused by coli, K. pneumninae, Enterobacter faecalis, Enterococcus faecium, Staphylococcus aureus, Streptococcus anginosus group, Clostridium perfringens, Bacteroides species, and Paracbacteroides distasonis.
Xerava is available as 50mg vial for intravenous administration.
Xerava is marketed by Tetraphase Pharmaceuticals Inc. USA.
- SEYSARA (sarecycline). Is a tetracycline class antibacterial indicated for the treatment of inflammatory lesions of non-nodular, moderate to severe acne vulgaris in patients 9 years of age and older.
Seysara is available as 60mg, 100mg and 150mg tablets.
Seysara is marketed by Allergan USA Inc.
- NUZYRA (omadacycline). Is a tetracycline class antibacterial indicated for the treatment of adult patients with the following infections caused by susceptible microorganisms.
- Community Acquired Pneumonia (CABP)
- Acute Bacterial Skin and Skin Structure Infections (ABSSSI)
Nuzyra is available as 100mg lyophilized powder vial for intravenous administration; and 60mg, 100mg and 150mg Tablets.
Nuzyra is marketed by Paratek Pharmaceuticals Inc., Boston, USA.
All tetracycline class antibacterial drugs share the group side effects.
- AMECOLO (rifamycin). Is a rifamycin antibacterial indicated for the treatment of travelers’ diarrhea caused by non-invasive strains of coli in adults.
Amecolo is available as 194mg Delayed-Release Tablet.
Amecolo is marketed by Aries Pharmaceuticals Inc. USA
It is worth noting that Big Pharma is not seen here. And that new antibacterial drugs have been approved for a limited number of indications.
Our challenges are much bigger and urgent.